I Tried to Be Rational in a World Run by Appetite.
I was so naive to think like a man.
Not because men are naive. Because the idea of manhood I was sold rational, direct, meritocratic, unemotional was a decoy. The powerful don't think like that. They perform rationality while running on appetite, allegiance, and calculated opacity. I was the only one who bought the brochure. The only one who filled out the form in triplicate while they were rewriting the rules in pencil.
What they don't teach you in any self-help book, any leadership seminar, any TED Talk about authenticity: clarity is a vulnerability profile. When you are "clear as water," people don't meet you there. They optimize around you. They learn your patterns, your breaking points, your capacity for forgiveness. Your transparency becomes their efficiency. Your honesty becomes their cost-cutting. You think you're building trust. You're building a map to your own exploitation.
I spent three years at a company where I was the "culture carrier." I was so clear about my commitment that it became invisible. Expected. Administrative. Like Wi-Fi only noticed when it failed.
Then I stopped. Not dramatically. I just started saying no. Started leaving at six. Started letting other people's mistakes stay where they fell.
The research on this is brutal and underreported. Studies on workplace dynamics show that emotional labor, the invisible maintenance of relationships, moods, and organizational harmony is disproportionately performed by those who believe in the system. Not because they're weak. Because they're invested . And the system knows this. It farms that investment. It extracts clarity from the clear and returns opacity to the powerful. The people who advance aren't the most competent. They're the most strategically illegible, the ones who make themselves necessary rather than readable, who understand that being "easy to understand" is just being easy to replace.
I thought like a man. I believed that if I explained myself clearly enough, worked hard enough, stayed good enough, the architecture would respond with fairness. It didn't. It responded with extraction. Because fairness was never the architecture. Fairness was the wallpaper.
The professionals who last aren't the sunrises. They're the weather systems, unpredictable enough to be negotiated with, complex enough to require investment, opaque enough that their absence creates cost. They don't give away the map to their minds. They charge for the view.
Your reliability became their operating system. Your openness, their zero-cost resource.
Stop being administratively convenient. Start being expensive to ignore.

Comments
Post a Comment